tinyB's OATMEAL FIG BARS!
These babies are unique and incredible (JUST LIKE YOU!)
My whole life, I HATED FIGS AND FIG NEWTONS. I wanted to like them, I truly did! They say as you get older, sometimes your taste buds change and you begin to like foods you didn't enjoy growing up, so whenever they were around, I would force myself to eat one just to see if maybe I would change my mind (I still do this with pickles..random. But yes.)
I cannot tell you why..I just DID. I wanted to like figs...sue me.
However, I never acquired the taste for them, as much as I wished I would (again, this was a very strange desire.) So eventually, I just accepted the fact that Figs, Fig Newtons, and I would never become mutuals, and honestly..I was slightly bummed.
Every time I would pass them in the grocery store, I would look away with repulse and say, "EW. gross." and feel a slight pain in my chest--
"I want to love you," I'd secretly think.
I managed to heal though. I built a bridge and got over it.
However, this last year...figs suddenly came back into my life.
"give me a try," they said.
I resisted..but they insisted..
Of course, I gave in, expecting the same heartbreaking reaction as in my prior experiences
...though.. something had changed.
I LOVED THEM..
And I still love them...
And now I cannot wait to venture out and try Fig Newtons again..I'm scared, but it's a risk I am willing to take.
And the rest was history.
I hope you enjoyed my fairly melodramatic story about my relationship with figs.
ALL THAT TO SAY, I WAS STOKED TO MAKE A DELICIOUS TREAT WITH MY NEW TASTY FRIEND, THE FIG!
These sweet, chewy Oatmeal Fig Bars are SO beyond delicious, sweet, chewy, healthy, made with no refined sugar, and are simply perfect for a snack, breakfast, or hey, even dessert. They are available for purchase as well!
I'm stoked to share this recipe with you. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
tinyB's Oatmeal Fig Bars!
Calories Per Serving: 230
Serving Size: 1
YOU WILL NEED:
1 and ¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 and ¼ cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 flax egg
FOR THE FIG PASTE FILLING!
1 cup turkish figs*
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon zest*
Pinch of salt
Start with the Fig Paste!!
1. Fill a saucepan with one cup of water and bring to a boil.
2. Add figs, lemon zest, and salt. Cook for 30 minutes!
3. Be patient. It's worth it. Make the oat crumble in the mean time!)
4. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and flax egg. Give that a stir. The mixture should stick together, but not be TOO sticky. If you feel as though it's a bit on the dry side, add ½ tbsp water.
6. Set aside!
7. Once your 30 minutes is up, remove saucepan from heat and slightly cool. Then, add your 3 tbsp maple syrup. (Preheat the oven to 350°F now!)
8. Grab a pastry blender (you can also use a real blender, but this way is more fun), and brutally smash the figs to create a paste. Don't be stingy. All you want to see is paste and seeds.
9. Once smashed, grab a 8x8 pan lined with parchment. Spoon half of the batter into the dish and press it together to form your base crust. Add the paste in an even layer on top of this, then spoon the rest of the oat mixture on top of the paste to form a nice crumble topping-- press down gently.
10. Bake this for 30-35 minutes!
11. Let cool, and ENJOY! You deserve it!
-Any oats will do!
-I buy my figs at Sprouts, but whatever figs you like best, you may use!
-You can sub orange zest in place of the lemon zest.
If you make this recipe, take a picture and make sure to tag me on instagram (@_tinybaker), and/or use the hashtag #tinybaker! I HOPE YOU ENJOY and look forward to figs now as much as i do!
#tinybaker #recipes #figs #diy #oatmeal #sugarfree #edrecovery #warrior #tastingtable #brunching #breakfast #healthyfood #healthyliving #healthylifestyle #cleaneating #mealprep #fitspiration #foodporn #thefeedfeed #treatyoself #loveyourself #recovery #ed #foodphotography #baking #baker #bobsredmill #glutenfree #glutenfreerecipes